Selecting a language will automatically trigger the translation of the page content.

What does a British person have to do to stay in France after Brexit?

Verified 28 September 2021 - Legal and Administrative Information Directorate (Prime Minister)

The withdrawal agreement, which entered into force on 1to February 2020, provides specific provisions for the right of residence of certain British citizens.

You lived in France before December 31, 2020

You retain your acquired rights as European citizens if you reside in France before 31 December 2020. This also applies to your family members.

Under the withdrawal agreement, you must apply for specific residence permits "UK withdrawal agreement".

You will only be required to hold a residence permit from the 1to January 2022.

You must complete the online process:

Brexit: application for residence permit

This online service will permanently closed 4 October 2021.

It allows for the registration of applications that could not be registered within the allotted time (1to July 2021).

You may also be eligible for the withdrawal agreement, but you may not have been able to apply before October 4, 2021. This is the case if you are in one of the following situations:

  • You become an adult after this date
  • Family members arrive in France after this date
  • You were unable to complete your application due to legitimate reasons (e.g., reasons relating to your health, force majeure, etc.).

In these cases, you must get closer to your prefecture.

Who shall I contact


if you have already applied for a residence permit on this site under a Brexit without an agreement, between october 9, 2019 and january 31, 2020, you do not need to reapply online. Your application has been duly taken into account and will be processed by the prefecture before the obligation to hold a title.

You settled in France after January 1, 2021

If you settled in France after 1to January 2021, you have to apply for a residence permit for non-European nationals.

Who shall I contact

In Paris:

To small and medium-sized and micro-entreprises, do you have a business project, a difficulty or a question ?

Quick and simple public service: you will be contacted over the phone by one of our experts.

Speak with an advisor on Place des Entreprises