Professional: what payment can he refuse (cash, check, credit card)?
Verified 24 June 2021 - Directorate for Legal and Administrative Information (Prime Minister)
A merchant, craftsman or any other professional has the right to refuse payment by check or credit card. To do this, it must indicate this by means of a display. On the other hand, he must always accept payment in cash, except under certain conditions.
A trader, craftsman or any other professional has the right to refuse payment by check or by credit card.
He must report to customers by a display visible in store or write a mention on a quote.
What conditions can it impose?
A trader may require the following:
- Make up
- A number of coins of less than 50 coins
- Banknotes and coins in good condition
- Currency in euro
it's at back-up customer if the trader no longer has money, and not the trader.
A trader may refuse coins or notes that appear to him to be counterfeit.
For a check
The trader may require the customer to submit a identity document (national identity card, driving license or passport).
For credit card
The trader may require a minimum amount.
The Regulation contactless by credit card is fixed at one maximum amount of€50.
signature on the receipt is required in case of purchase greater than €1,500.
A professional has the obligation to accept the cash payment.
these are payments in euros, but some shops can accept foreign currencies (a shop duty-free for example).
Maximum amount accepted
The maximum amount accepted is €1,000.
If the customer is a tourist resident abroad for tax purposes, the maximum amount is €15,000.
for more than €1,000, the trader must refuse cash and request payment by credit card or check.
The epidemic of COVID-19does not allow the trader to refuse cash under the pretext of a risk of contamination.
The merchant only has the right to demand from the customer the following 3 conditions:
- Make up
- Pay at a reserved or automatic till
- Place coins and notes on the counter rather than putting them back in your hand
The client who encounters this refusal can report it either to the Defender of Rights or to the Regional Directorate for the Protection of Populations.
Who shall I contact
- Defender of Rights
By telephone (general information)
09 69 39 00 00
Cost of a local call
From Monday to Friday from 8am to 8pm
By post (to lodge a complaint with the Defender of Rights) By free post, without postage
Defender of Rights
Free answer 71120
75342 Paris cedex 07
Attention: attach photocopies of the documents relating to your referral to your post.
Access to contact form
a trader who refuses a cash payment risks a fine of €150.
Taxi driver, VTC
The taxi driver or the VTC is obliged to accept 2 types of payment:
- In cash
- By credit card
Certified Management Center (CGA) Affiliated Professional
The profession affiliated to a CGA is obliged to accept at least one of the following 2 types of payment:
- Credit card
An employer has an obligation to pay the salary of an employee by check or bank transfer if the amount is more than €1,500 net per month.
If the salary is less than this amount, the employee can ask to be paid in cash.
this obligation does not apply to individual employers.
Less than €300
If your tax is less than or equal to €300, you can pay in cash at a licensed dealer.
Make sure your review includes a "QR code" and the words "payable to a dealer".
Who shall I contact
any other means of payment is accepted (online, transfer, direct debit, check).
For any questions, you can make an appointment with the company Tax Service (SIE).
Making an appointment with the company Tax Office: Instructions for Use
More than 300 €
You must pay online with the online business tax account.
Online tax account for professionals (EFI mode)
you can also pay by check, wire transfer, direct debit or by Tip: titleContent.
Any settlement in cash between professionals for the purchase of metals is forbidden.
They are ferrous metals (iron, steel, cast iron in particular) or non-ferrous metals (aluminum, silver, bronze, copper, tin, gold, lead, zinc in particular), whatever the amount.
The trader must pay by one of the Next 3 ways :
- Checks with Strikethrough
- Bank transfer
- Credit card
- Monetary and Financial Code: Articles L133-6 to L133-8
- Monetary and Financial Code: Article L112-5 to L112-5-1
- Monetary and Financial Code: Articles L112-6 to L112-8Prohibition of the payment of certain claims in cash
- Monetary and Financial Code: Articles L131-31 to L131-43Payment by check
- Consumer Code: Articles L112-1 to L112-7
- General Tax Code: Article 1649cRequirement for a member of an authorized management center to accept checks
- General Tax Code: Articles 1680 to 1681Maximum amount of payment of taxes and cash
- Monetary and Financial Code: Articles D112-3 and R112-5Limits for cash payment
- Decree n°2016-1356 of 11 October 2016 on management centers, associations and joint management organizations accredited, professionals of accounting expertise and certifiers abroad
- Decree No. 85-1073 of 7 October 1985 on payments by checks and transfersFor the amount of salary
- Bofip: recognized organizations - Obligations of members of OGAs (II-B)