How do I determine a company's tax return?
Verified 01 January 2022 - Directorate of Legal and Administrative Information (Prime Minister), Ministry of Finance
What is a company's tax return?
The income from the activity of a company is the income that is subject to tax:
- If this is capital business, it is subject to business tax
- If it is a individual business, it is subject to income tax
The tax result is used to determine the tax base.
Determination of tax result
A business or individual business imposed under BIC: titleContent shall determine its tax result on the printed No 2058 A.
A individual business imposed under BNC: titleContent shall, for its part, determine its tax result on the printed No 2035 A.
How do I calculate a company's tax return?
During the year, transactions are recorded using accounting rules, without taking into account tax rules.
Only at year-end, when the accounting result is released, the taxable result is determined.
The calculation of the tax result is done in 3 steps:
- Resume accounting result
- Deduct non-taxable or preferential income or the spread of taxation over time from the return
- Add tax-indeductible or settlement-year expenses that have been recognised
This gives the following formula: Fiscal result = accounting result + extra-accounting reintegrations - extra-accounting deductions
The tax due over the tax period is calculated by multiplying the company's tax return by the tax rate.
What are extra-accounting reinstatement?
Non-accounting reintegrations are transactions that aim to neutralise an expenditure that in accounting represents an expense, but is not considered as such by the tax administration.
The main effect is to ensure that certain expenses that should have been deducted from the accounting result are not deducted or are deducted at a later date.
The following non-deductible expenses must therefore be reinstated in the tax result:
- Compensation of the operator in a individual business
- Excess depreciation for a passenger vehicle
- Business Passenger Vehicle Tax (SST) due from businesses subject to business tax
- Business tax
- Fine and penalties
What are extra-accounting deductions?
Non-accounting deductions are income that is recorded in the accounts, but is not taxable or has been taxed previously (a reinstated allowance in a previous year).
They have the main effect of delaying the taxation of a product, preventing its taxation or imposing it at a rate different from the normal rate.
- Share loss of a person's business
- Deferral back of tax claim
- Capital gains on securities which are taxed at a rate different from the normal rate
- Depreciation of trade funds when acquired between 1to January 2022 and December 31, 2025
To small and medium-sized and micro-entreprises, do you have a business project, a difficulty or a question ?
Quick and simple public service: you will be contacted over the phone by one of our experts.Speak with an advisor on Place des Entreprises
- General tax code: Articles 53A to 57Actual Profit Tax System
- General Tax Code, Annexe 3: Article 40aProfits of non-commercial occupations