Create a company: Check if the proposed activity is regulated
Verified 17 September 2021 - Directorate for Legal and Administrative Information (Prime Minister)
Regardless of the legal status you choose, it is imperative that you check whether the activity of your future company is regulated.
If the activity you are considering is regulated, you must verify that you are all the conditions for exercising it.
Examples of regulated activities:
- Real Estate Agent
- Driving school
- Bar, cafe
- Dealer of tobacco
- Baker, pastry chef
- Hairdresser in salon or at home
- Bed & Breakfast
- Maintenance or repair of vehicles
- Freelance Trainer
- Beauty Institute
- Fast food / takeaway
- Personal services
- Tattoo drilling
It doesn't exist no exhaustive list of regulated activities. However, BPIFrance Créations provides an information module on the most frequent regulated activities:
Know if an activity is regulated
Regulated activities are subject to access and/or exercise conditions.
Conditions of access
- Diploma requirements
- Conditions of professional experience
- Conditions for prior training
- Minimum age requirements
- Conditions of good repute (for example, not having been convicted by a French or foreign court)
- Financial conditions (for example, having a minimum amount of capital)
- Condition for taking out one or more insurances
You may need to meet multiple access conditions.
You have to fill them out before starting your business.
At the time of registration of your company, the administrative authorities will ask you to present the supporting documents corresponding to the conditions of access.
Conditions for the exercise
- Continuing education and training requirements
- Fitness requirement
- Condition for keeping a register or registers
- Condition for regular reporting to one or more administrations
Unlike the access conditions, you do not have to justify exercise conditions to start your business. They will be checked in operation.
depending on the nature of your activity and the municipality where you are located, you may have additional rules to follow (hygiene, storage of products, safety, reception of the public,...).
Ask a professional about it
To be sure of having all the necessary information, it is recommended to call on a professional of the accompaniment.
Contact the Chamber of Commerce and Industry.
Who shall I contact
- Know if an activity is regulated
- Become a real estate agentBpifrance Creation
- Become an architectBpifrance Creation
- Become an artist-authorBpifrance Creation
- Opening a driving schoolBpifrance Creation
- Open a bar or cafeBpifrance Creation
- Becoming a tobacco sellerBpifrance Creation
- Become a bakerBpifrance Creation
- Become a pastry chefBpifrance Creation
- Become a hairdresser in a salonBpifrance Creation
- Become a hairdresser at homeBpifrance Creation
- Open a bed and breakfastBpifrance Creation
- Become a moverBpifrance Creation
- Engage in vehicle maintenance or repairBpifrance Creation
- Become a freelance trainerBpifrance Creation
- Open a beauty salonBpifrance Creation
- Become an opticianBpifrance Creation
- Become a plumberBpifrance Creation
- Open a fast food/takeaway establishmentBpifrance Creation
- Engaging in a personal service activityBpifrance Creation
- Becoming a tattoo artist and/or piercerBpifrance Creation
- Become a VTC driverBpifrance Creation